Saturday, December 4, 2010

Strong

Domestic violence does not only occur between a boyfriend, husband or significant other. Parents can also inflict domestic violence. Mrowemoon was brave enough to share her story with me about the abuse that her father inflicted on her mother and the ensuing effect that it had on her. Fortunately her mother was also very courageous and was able to escape the violence she was a victim of.


"My story is not one of being a victim of domestic violence in the physical sense but I am an emotional victim.  My father physically and mentally abused my mother for many years.  They were married for just shy of 10 years when my mother finally found the courage to divorce my father.  He actually made it pretty easy as he found another woman to victimize.  I was exactly 10 years old when they split (apparently I was born just before they were married).  My father was an alcoholic.  When he drank, the beast came out.  When he was sober, he was playful, loving and attentive father.  My father's anger was alway directed at my mother.  Thankfully he never laid a hand on me nor my younger brother."

Read more of Mrowemoon's story over on the Personal Stories page.

No comments:

Post a Comment